“IT” Doesn’t Have to Happen.

Pet Waste Billboard
“When your pet goes on the lawn, remember your pet doesn’t just go on the lawn. Do your doodie and pick up pet waste! “

We can help you do your part to help keep our waters clean.

Find out more at http://www2.erie.gov/environment/index.php?q=if-you-don039t-stoop-scoop-it-happens

“Pet waste can carry harmful bacteria, parasites, or viruses. It can make people, especially children, very sick. It can also be dangerous to wildlife and other dogs. Rodents are very attracted to pet waste left in your yard. That is why it is important to pick up after your pet. When you leave pet waste on the ground, rain and snow melt runoff carry it to nearby storm drains where it reaches our lakes, rivers, and streams, often untreated. Once there, it can elevate bacteria levels and contaminate our waterbodies, causing our beaches to close. Decaying pet waste also consumes oxygen and may release ammonia. Low oxygen levels and high ammonia can damage the health of fish and other aquatic life. Similarly, nutrients in pet waste may increase algae and weed growth in our water, which consume oxygen as they decompose, further harming aquatic life. “

Leave a Reply