Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
October 22, 2014, 08:45:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stinky  (Read 3602 times)
Andi1

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »

I am starting to think that some professional pooper scoopers think their poop does'nt stink.   Many times when someone asks a question on this forum - there are a lot of defensive answers, like they want the newbies to fall on thier faces to learn just like they did.  - Trust me, the newbies will fall on their faces plenty of times and learn many things the hard way just like you did - wether or not you give your precious advice.  If you don't want to answer the question - just DON'T answer it.   Although, I did think this was a FORUM for questions, advice, etc.....HuhHuh  and I am very thankful to those who have been kind enough to give their advice and opinions..this forum is a very useful tool for researching and developing this business - and a little competition is healthy.  The hard worker with a good head for business and customer service will succeed - The person who doesn't have these skills will not - with or without your advise. JMHO Tongue
Scott
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »

Shon
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »

Yeah, really, you numbskulls, get over yourselves Kiss
Pooper Snoopers
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »

I always thought that what was good for one was good for all. But not in this business, apparently. The more pub one gets, the more pub we all get. Public awareness is the only thing holding us back.
scoopnation
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »

I always thought that what was good for one was good for all. But not in this business, apparently. The more pub one gets, the more pub we all get. Public awareness is the only thing holding us back.

Sort of, it's a double-edged sword.   Public awareness is also going to bring in a lot of competition, eventually.   

Sooner or later, it's going to become a price war in many major areas, even moreso than it is now.    See, unlike other businesses, the only real "skill" in ours is basically, our business ability.   Unlike being a doctor, or lawyer, or electrician, or plumber, almost anyone can clean up dog crap.

In some ways, we who are well-established right now are enjoying the Golden Years as far as profit margin goes.   IMO this will last at least another decade, maybe more, maybe less.   Depends on the internet and the economy.

Scott
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:53:30 AM »

I agree on some points.  Yes, almost anyone can scoop crap.  The difference is not everyone can run a business.  And even fewer of those can run a successful customer service business.  You know... keeping the customer happy no matter what.  There is a level of skill required for that.

When you have customers tell you, "Even if you get a competitor with lower prices, I will not switch.  I like you and the professional way you run your business.", you know you're doing something right. 

When it becomes a price war, I won't fight that fight.  I will not lower the value of my service to compete with fly by night wanna-be's.  They will show up, they may get a few customers, and they will go belly up.  It happens all the time.

I do not believe we are in the golden years of our industry.  I do believe we will be around as long as dogs are crapping.  I think that we have to diversify, and offer other goods or services that tie in to what we already do.  I don't mean up-selling by charging to phone ahead, etc... 

Find a need for your customers.  A need that will help them, their family, and their pets.  But make it something that is not a one time sale.  Something they will need to buy on a regular basis.  Also make it something that even ex-customers have a need for, even if they don't use your services any more.

I found one, but I will not post it here.  It is definitely not for everyone either.  It can be a huge success if you bust your butt for it.  Or it can be another source of income for your biz.  It's your choice.

Anyone interested can call me.  I'll be happy to tell you about it.
ashlee
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07:19 AM »

"Anyone can scoop crap"....
I beg to differ, based on the number of employees we have fired for being exactly NOT able to scoop - anyone can do it, but few can do it right!
Scott
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »

I did say "almost anyone".   Cool
Pooper Snoopers
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:58:28 AM »

Ashlee and Scott are both right.

Anyone can scoop poop.

Not everyone can do it correctly, thoroughly and quickly.
Scott
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 04:12:37 PM »

Heck, sometimes I can't even do it right.   Grin
Pooper Snoopers
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »

Seven dogs and if I had a dime for every time my wife said "You missed one" and by one, I mean just ONE. Seven dogs, little dogs too. Pekes, Poms, Dachshunds tiny little poops. Maybe I should take her job in logistics...wait I don't know what logistics means....

Never mind.
Scott
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 03:24:50 AM »

Seven dogs and if I had a dime for every time my wife said "You missed one" and by one, I mean just ONE.

LOL.... you get that too?

I get, "I see you cleaned part of the yard."

Roll Eyes
Pooper Snoopers
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »

I am convinced that in middle school girls take a secret class in how to control men. I am constantly amazed at how so many of them operate in the same exact way.

We love them, but they can make us nuts. Good thing there is beer.  Wink
Scott
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 03:13:42 PM »

I am convinced that in middle school girls take a secret class in how to control men.

Of course there is.  It's called Puberty.   Grin
Pete
Pros

We support Pet Rescue/ Spay, Neuter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »

Just for jollies, let's take a look at the numbers.

Imagine you have one dog and clean up once a week for a year.  If you had a definite plan to study and improve, you would get better, yes?  Now imagine two years, no wait, three years.  My people call that a short work week.  Now imagine 7 dogs for one year.  You're still not through your probation period.  I'm certainly not trying to put anyone down, but I do want to make clear that cleaning up after your own dogs is not the same.  In my experience, new employees who think that must first be taught.  Some never get over the idea that they are experts and must be terminated, usually for poor quality, but sometimes for speed.

Matthew may remember Linda, who told me during the interview process that there was nothing I could teach her about scooping poop.  She had 7 - 10 dogs for over ten years and scooped regularly.  In four weeks, she had a set of professional tools, a set of professional skills and had drastically increased her efficiency with her own dogs.  Once she set aside her firm opinion that she knew it all, she learned very quickly.  I was very pleased, because I almost didn't hire her because I didn't want to waste the time to break down her misconceptions.  I'm glad I took the chance.

It's not rocket science.  It's just scooping poop.  Still, there's more to it than anyone ever thinks when they get started.  It's very likely that you'll be better after 200 professionally scooped yards than you are now.  It's VERY likely that you'll be better than that after 1000.  It's almost a sure bet that by 1000 pro yards cleaned that you will have gone through your "Super Scooper" phase where you'll think you know it all... then you'll learn better.  I have a very strong memory of going back to clean a yard that "Couldn't possibly have old poop in it", but it did.  Quite the eye opener for me, and one of the reasons I'm still in the biz.  If I hadn't gotten that lesson, I'd be gone by now for one reason or another.

Hey, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.   Grin

Better than the will to succeed is the will to prepare to succeed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: