Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
December 21, 2014, 05:35:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Press release  (Read 2394 times)
doodyguy

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »

When you guys sent out press releases did you say how many customers you had in your release? If someone actually came out and did a story on you, didn't they at some point ask how many customers you serve? This is an issue with a start up because you (me) might only have a handful at this point and that wouldnt translate well in your write up in the paper. How did you guys handle that?

Fear change. Especially pennies.
admin
Administrator

Since 1988: People see poop, they think of me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »

It depends on the specific nature of the event that the press release is about.  Usually I would put that number in there.  And yes, the reporters always want to know that.  If it's a startup, it's OK if you don't have a lot of customers yet.  That makes it interesting, and some people like to be one of the first customers.  One thing that helps is saying something about the customers you've got, like about how one of them is an elderly lady who wouldn't be able to keep her dear doggie if it weren't for the service you provide, or whatever is true and interesting in your particular case.
N.O. Doody

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »

Idea...How about if you serviced 7 properties but each one had 3 dogs. Answer: We service properties for 21 different pups, or something along those lines?? Just an idea
Yard Guards On Doody
Pros

Cheresee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »

I agree with Matthew.  I think it is a bit deceiving if you go with what you said in your last post.  Most of the time reporters are interested in companies just starting up, especially a poop scooping company.  I would have to guess that if you have 7 customers they don't all have 3 dogs each.  At least the odds are pretty unlikely. (in my opinion anyway)

If by chance the reporter does not have a photograpjer with them, then by all means offer to email a pic or two to them.  You will garner a lot more attention if you have a picture with your press release.

Good Luck!

We take CRAP...Seriously!!!
doodyguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:46 PM »

Yeah, I can definitely see your points. Since I am just starting out perhaps it could work in my favor. Plus I could have them put in the article about that time I saved the earth from those aliens.

Yard Guards On Doody
Pros

Cheresee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:01:33 PM »

Well....you do want the reporter to take you seriously so leave the martians for another day! Hard enought o get them to take a pooper scooper seriously as it is. lol

admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:08:42 PM »

Anything that will interest their readers.  I got quite a bit of mileage out of my story about how I used to clean up after monkeys.  Reporters love that kind of stuff!   Smiley
doodyguy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 06:23:27 PM »

I honestly (hand to God) bought Matthew's book in 2008 when I was just considering this business but for the life of me I have NO CLUE where it is now. What I would like to know is what to include in a press release. (Matthew, if you keep tabs of checks received I can give you my info to prove that I bought your book). Again, regardless of circumstances I am just starting this business up and there are a couple of local papers that I would like to submit press releases to. I wish I had the book handy to look over but, alas, it has been packed far, far away. Again, Matthew, I can give you name and address printed on my checks but thats about it. Guys, help a brother out please.

Yard Guards On Doody
Pros

Cheresee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »

A press release should be relatively short and cover who, what, why, where and when.  Also try to include a picture or two as well. Press releases are always free.  Anytime your company does something newsworthy, you should send a press release.  (By including a picture or two you will increase your chances ten fold that someone will read the release.)  The eye (or at least most peoples eyes) are drawn to a picture first.

Good Luck!

tgp
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 06:25:57 AM »

No offense to Matt or his fine book, but there are other resources available.
Try popping "how to write a press release" in Google and see what pops out!   Wink

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
doodyguy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »

Just to show what a stand-up guy Matthew is, he sent me a copy of his book to download for free. He, once again, is living up to his own advice: under promise and over-deliver. Thanks Matt, I really appreciate that!

doodyguy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »

Tgp, regarding your post...that would involve using common sense. How much of that stuff do you think I have lying around anyway?

tgp
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »

Tgp, regarding your post...that would involve using common sense. How much of that stuff do you think I have lying around anyway?

No offense meant, just tired I guess.  Smiley

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
doodyguy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »

Lol, no offense taken.  Cheesy

admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:58:24 AM »

For what it's worth, I just got an email with this link to a free downloadable guide to writing online news releases:

http://service.prweb.com/go/0412/April_Online_Learn_CT_v1.html

Looks like it might be helpful even if you don't use the services of PRWeb, the company that is providing the download.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: