Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
October 23, 2014, 08:45:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up cat poop...  (Read 1971 times)
The Doo House
Pros

View Profile WWW
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »

I signed a deal today (one time) to clean out cat poop from under a mobile home where cats use to live. I am wondering has anyone ever done anything like this before and if so what tools did you take in with you? I ask because to clean it out I have to be on my stomach the whole time (after all it is under a mobile home someone is living in) and large rakes/spades will not be easy to use.

Thanks,

Matt
The Doo House

"We Are Your Neighbors Best Friend"
Yard Guards On Doody
Pros

Cheresee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »

Wow I don't envy you!  If it were me I would have a full coverage protective suit (maybe like a painters outfit) as well as a heavy duty face mask. Rubber gloves for sure.  I would probably have a can of bug spray to kill the spiders I would encounter. I would aslo request a huge paycheck at the end of clean up!

We take CRAP...Seriously!!!
tgp
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:50:02 PM »

Warning!  DO NOT use bleach on this job!

It will react with the ammonia in the urine and feces and create poisonous gases gases which
can cause permanent lung damage and quite possibly kill you!!!

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2010/08/20/why-you-shouldnt-mix-bleach-and-ammonia-bleach-and-ammonia-chemical-reactions.htm

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
Scooperdude
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »

I've done a bunch, Like Cheresee says , coveralls,dust mask, gloves lots of light and knee pads help too.. I did one that I had to belly crawl not much fun.
The Doo House
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »

I am just scooping it up and will have my bibs and Carhartt jacket on (I am in Wyoming so it is cold outside), mask is essential and as far as pay lets just say I will have a really nice check coming when I am done. I really enjoy what I doo but and I am looking forward to this check but not so sure about the job itself.  Grin

toober

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 08:59:09 AM »

Would a rubber floor squeegee work for something like this where there isn't room to flick? Just scrape it all out from underneath before getting it up. Or would a garden hand trowel be better suited for the job?
tgp
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:50:17 PM »

If I were doing it, I'd use a wide leaf rake.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."
The Doo House
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

We did this job this past Monday and I have to admit I had to recruit my two oldest boys to help me as I could not fit in the space. Basically we had to use rubber gloves and trash bags an pull it out by hand. That was not only the quickest way but the fact that no tools would fit in the area so they could be used kind of dictated how we had to do this job.

With three of us working it only took two hours total (6 man hours) and that was exactly what I had figured when I quoted the job so my timing and pricing were dead on and that was a plus.

Waiting to get that check as it will be a nice payday!!!  Grin

tgp
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »

Good deal on the estimate. Yards are easy, but those odd jobs can be difficult.  After almost 9 years,
my estimates are usually very close.  On those occasions where I underestimate, it's always in the
customer's favor.  I tell them I put a cap on the price before I start the job.  If it takes longer, I end up
working at a reduced rate for the job, but that rarely happens.  If I come in under the estimate (about
40-50% of the time) the customer is happy.  I don't believe in telling a customer one thing and then
jumping up the price at the end.

You are gonna pay those boys some big money, right?   Cheesy Cheesy

doodyguy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »

Yer right, tgp...they earned it!  Cheesy

Fear change. Especially pennies.
Yard Guards On Doody
Pros

Cheresee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »

I would have left with the check...I hope they do pay up!

We take CRAP...Seriously!!!
The Doo House
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »

I would have left with the check...I hope they do pay up!

I have a signed agreement and if they don't pay (God Forbid) I will see them in court. It is an LLC I am dealing with and not just an individual so that does help.

tgp
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »

Depends on what you are owed for the job.  You may find that court costs are enough to make it a waste of time.  Professional deadbeat customers know this, too.

The Doo House
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

I received the check today (less that a week after the job was completed) and I will have my credit union call their bank before cashing it or maybe I will just cash it at their bank.  Grin

tgp
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

Why go to the trouble?  A check's a check.  If it bounces, you have legal recourse.
Going on 9 years and never had a bad check, not once.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: