Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!
Find a Pooper-Scooper in the
Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
September 25, 2017, 08:22:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WELCOME TO THIS FREE FORUM about the dog waste removal service business. 
To register to post, e-mail Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com with a username.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to expect when hiring  (Read 423 times)
lisaann

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2017, 07:35:52 AM »

I am at 120 cleanings a week and HAVE to hire someone. I'm working around 40 hours a week but know I can't expect a new scooper to do all 120 cleanings especially just starting out. I thought my physical abilities were maxed out at 40 yards a week until learning some of you do even 130 cleanings a week! This gave me a second wind. You guys are awesome!

So, my fear is to overwork or overdo a new hire. How many cleanings can I expect a new employee to take on? There was a time when I was so exhausted or overwhelmed that I dreamed of scooping. :/ I'm sure it has mostly to do with their physical ability but I don't want to overwhelm even a physically able new hire.

On average how many cleanings will an employee do?
What should my average return (goal) be?
Is it more important to hire someone who loves animals or someone with immense physical abilities (as for long-term retention)?
What's the best advice on hiring for the first time?
How can I attract workers with their own vehicle or is it better to invest in a fleet?
Is it better to hire 2 part time employees versus a full-time?
What do I look for in an employee?

Any experienced advise is appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 02:00:28 PM by lisaann » Logged
Scooperdude
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 05:02:59 AM »

Yard size, miles driven, yard condition all play a part in how many yards per hour a person can do, plus an employee doesn't have the desire to work as hard as you would.

I like people who like dogs, clients like people who will pay attention to their dogs. Dog lovers have less problems with dogs

Their vehicle, do they carry liability insurance? If they are working for you anything that happens is your problem, bad brakes cause a crash it's your problem.
How can you control your image with their vehicle? My trucks are my best advertisement they must be clean and visible.

Some people say they hire independent contractors to scoop for them, I don't think this type of work falls into the independent contractor profile

2 part timers twice the problems

Employees must be drug free, clean driving record, clear back ground check, able to walk miles a day in all kinds of weather. In the end it's a crap shoot when you hire, use your gut if you think a person millwork, set a probation period, evaluate and decide if they can be good employees
admin
Administrator

Since 1988: People see poop, they think of me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »

If you don't already have this book, you might find the chapter on hiring help to be helpful.  I hope that helps.   Grin

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/500653

lisaann

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 01:13:06 PM »

Thank you so much for the advice. 2 of the best things I've ever done were quit my job and hire help. Wish I had done it sooner. Knock on wood- good so far.  Wink

THANK YOU! Mr. Osborn, your book is very helpful! Scooperdude, I will definitely use your advice on probation period next time.

Also, where is the best place to get reliable background checks? I initially tried an online service and couldn't believe the mess they had listed about me. Hopefully my customers didn't see that. They had me mixed up with another person with the same name. It's supposedly updated now. Then I subscribed to beenverified.com but don't feel either online service is up-to-date and 100% reliable. Where or what is the best solution for background checks? Where do companies like Angieslist get their info?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:19:03 PM by lisaann » Logged
Scooperdude
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »

I use Castle Branch at www.castlebranch.com.
Everything is done online/credit card

Go with your gut feeling when you interview a potential employee, mine has never failed, if they are iffy now they will be bad at some time.
admin
Administrator

Since 1988: People see poop, they think of me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »

2 of the best things I've ever done were quit my job and hire help. Wish I had done it sooner.

A couple of days ago I saw this article about hiring help, and I think it might have some useful ideas for scoopers who are running up against the limits of their time.

"Most dog service businesses are one-person affairs. If you run one, you know what it’s like to juggle a multitude of tasks and wear too many hats at once: Trainer/walker/sitter/daycare or boarding operator, administrative assistant, marketing manager, bookkeeper, accountant, customer service rep, even janitor.
We find in our business consulting work and when on the road speaking at conferences and seminars that many dog pros are exhausted by the pressure of keeping up—or the stress of not being able to. When we suggest hiring some help, the reaction is often shock. “Oh, I couldn’t do that. I can’t afford it.” The question is, “Can you afford not to?”

You can afford it. Really."

READ MORE at http://dogtec.org/articles/hiring-you-deserve-some-help
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: