Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
October 25, 2014, 06:47:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy to find all of you!  (Read 4487 times)
Poop Scoop Troop
Pros

Mr. Pooper

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »

Hi all! I am new here, and new to the poop pick up biz. This is the best forum out there! Just in the past few days of lerking around here, I have learned so much from all of you. This forum has the feeling of all friends. I hope that in the future, I can give you all some info back after all the info I gathered from you.
Shon
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »

Welcome to the boards.

That's what we are here for, learning, sharing and poke fun at each other now and then.

A couple things I would suggest to you from viewing your website..."During our initial consultation appointment, we will make a sketch of your yard on graft paper to note the general location of trees, plants, and shrubs, as well as where your dog commonly does his or her business."

Other than being time consuming, it's not necessary.  The homeowner knows were their trees, plants and shrubs are.  Sketching this on graft paper serves no purpose to you or the customer. 

"Q. - Can I send a check after you perform the service?
A. - Yes, after the second visit. For the first two visits, we require payment before providing our service. You will be given a written receipt after each visit."

Having the customer pay you for two visits before you service on those visits is...weird.  Sorry, I do not have a better word to describe that.  Simply implement a prepay system.  I assume you are going to bill monthly?  Collect for one-month service in advance.

Best of luck with your business and soak up the knowledge that many share here.

dhaupt
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:52:28 PM »

Beautifully put...take his advice..Best wishes to You!

Di
WeScoop - FL
dhaupt
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:11:57 PM »

Hi all! I am new here, and new to the poop pick up biz. This is the best forum out there! Just in the past few days of lerking around here, I have learned so much from all of you. This forum has the feeling of all friends. I hope that in the future, I can give you all some info back after all the info I gathered from you.

This week, anyway!   Grin     

Di
We Scoop, FL
BDS
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:28:39 PM »

When I sign a new client and it is the middle of the month, I ask them to pay for the weeks left in the month and the next month as well. If nothing else, I get the two weeks, or whatever is left in the month up front. Always bill in advance. Never have a past due that way.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Poop Scoop Troop
Pros

Mr. Pooper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:36:50 PM »

"Once again, thanks to all for the info. The sketch of the yard is for me. I hope that this thing will take off to the point that I might forget someones yard lay out due to so many clients. Smiley or if I'm sick or away, my help could fill in for me and they would be able to get a sense of the yard before arrival to the customers house.

A. - Yes, after the second visit. For the first two visits, we require payment before providing our service. You will be given a written receipt after each visit."
This was the idea of my web designer with the thought that if I did not like this, he would remove it. I agree with you that it sounds not what I want it to describe.
thepoohcrew
Pros

Punkin, Eve, Remington & China

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »

"Once again, thanks to all for the info. The sketch of the yard is for me. I hope that this thing will take off to the point that I might forget someones yard lay out due to so many clients. Smiley or if I'm sick or away, my help could fill in for me and they would be able to get a sense of the yard before arrival to the customers house.

I've never done this while at a yard, but I have done it from memory when I've had to have someone fill in for me.  As far as noting where the main amount of poop is, that will change once you've started cleaning the yard.  I've always found that after I've been there a few weeks the dogs try to get as far away from the house as possible.  Of course that's if they're not on a lead when they're out to potty, and if the yard is fenced they always seem to want to poop right at the gate ... gotta mark it as theirs.   Roll Eyes

This was the idea of my web designer with the thought that if I did not like this, he would remove it. I agree with you that it sounds not what I want it to describe.

I haven't looked at your site so forgive me if this is answered on there.  Do you charge an initial cleaning fee?  By collecting the first two visits is your goal here to collect the remainder of the month you're in?  I simply tell my new customers that there is an initial cleaning fee that will be paid that day along with the pro-rated amount for the remainder of the month. 

Welcome to the board!   Smiley

Deb

The Pooh Crew
Pete
Pros

We support Pet Rescue/ Spay, Neuter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

Dogs will change their habits.  You don't need a sketch, you need to clean the yard.  I have some yards that I quick check some areas based on knowledge, in general, if the dog can go there, I do too.

The time difference between doing it right and skipping part is nearly always very small.  The risk/reward ratio is unfavorable.

Better than the will to succeed is the will to prepare to succeed.
Scooperdude
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 02:47:50 PM »

Pete once again you are right on the money. I doo tend to remeber the heavy areas and do them last to avoid lugging the load around the yard
dhaupt
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:42:23 PM »

Pete,

That risk/reward point is a great one...and Grady, the few I've done so far, I've approached the same way...fist, dooo the light areas, then go in for the big and heavy load!  But I've gotta figure out how you all changed the handle around of the red...I'll search and find the picture, but I don't recall hearing how the mechanics of changing it worked.   Huh

Di
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 05:55:22 AM »

Pete,

That risk/reward point is a great one...and Grady, the few I've done so far, I've approached the same way...fist, dooo the light areas, then go in for the big and heavy load!  But I've gotta figure out how you all changed the handle around of the red...I'll search and find the picture, but I don't recall hearing how the mechanics of changing it worked.   Huh

Di

Di,

The new Big Red doesn't let you turn the handle around like the old one did. 
I bought these add on handles from Life With Ease:

http://www.lifewithease.com/fistgrip2.html

Just the handle, not that arm support loop thing. 

They really help out with both Big Red and the small black pan.
Alpha Dog
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 06:15:37 AM »

I have a "NEW" style big red and I was able to turn the handle around  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
but it did take the use of a very small blade screwdriver used with care and a hammer used with anger  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

"Your Pups Poop is our Bread and Butter"

You can give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.
But TEACH a man to fish & he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day.
p 24:7
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »

That's all good, but believe me when I tell you, having a handle lower down on the shaft of the lobby pan makes it much easier to carry. 

It's a lot easier on the arm elbow and shoulder to not have to bend your arm to carry a full pan.
Alpha Dog
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 07:24:27 AM »

I hear you & believe you  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Already ordered a set  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Thanks for the info.

Dave

"Your Pups Poop is our Bread and Butter"

You can give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.
But TEACH a man to fish & he will sit in a boat & drink beer all day.
p 24:7
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:28:55 AM »

Nice job, grasshopper.   Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: