Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
October 25, 2014, 06:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yellowbook Advertising  (Read 4475 times)
all dogs poop

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2008, 02:33:50 PM »

I had a salesman from yellowbook visit me today (saw an add I had run recently and contacted me).  He offered me $50/month ($600/annual) to be list--up to 7 lines or I can include log (with less lines) and I would have internet advertising as well.

Question...is it worth the cost--money wel spent?  Has anyone had success with?

There is only 1 other listing under Pet Waste Removal.
I appreciate any advise, experience you can offer!

all dogs poop
poop happens...we clean it up!
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »

I had a salesman from yellowbook visit me today (saw an add I had run recently and contacted me).  He offered me $50/month ($600/annual) to be list--up to 7 lines or I can include log (with less lines) and I would have internet advertising as well.

Question...is it worth the cost--money wel spent?  Has anyone had success with?

There is only 1 other listing under Pet Waste Removal.
I appreciate any advise, experience you can offer!

Yes, they've all "seen your ad".  That's where they get leads and cold call.

That's how the conversation starts:  Hey, "Sparky"!  I saw your ad in "local publication" and was
wondering how that was working for you? (They talk about circulation and distribution right about now...)
After they throw your objections aside, they talk about price in vague terms, using words like
affordable and reasonable....

Paper directories blow.

They blow twice, lick once and finish up with a wet napkin if you go with Qwest.
One of these days if I have the time and you have the patience, I'd be glad to tell you how
every f*cking thing Qwest has ever "done" for me, through three apartments, four houses and
two businesses has been nothing short of a cluster-f*ck each and every time.

Spirit of service.  Yeah.  I peel off a couple feet of Qwest's "spirit of service" everytime I have a beer shit.

JMHO.

Bitter?  Not me!   Grin

Where would that $600 be if you didn't waste it on a soggy stack of newsprint that people leave on their porches until it rots?

Translation....

Le Ann, don't waste your money.  Get used to every publication calling you now. 

Yellow Pages, Yellow Book, Verizon Yellow Pages... all ancient as the Dead Sea scrolls. 

It's all internet now.  And don't let them sell you on the "We have a great searchable website you'll be included on" crap.  The top 3 scooper directories all have top SEO rankings.  You can be in all 3 for less than $20 per month. 
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »

And you wonder why I am not answering my phone right now.

My wife doesn't think it's professional to tell another scooper on the phone to go _ _ _ _ himself, even if I explain to her that we love each other in a manly non-gay way, and it's all in fun.   Roll Eyes
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 03:31:42 PM »

And you wonder why I am not answering my phone right now.

My wife doesn't think it's professional to tell another scooper on the phone to go _ _ _ _ himself, even if I explain to her that we love each other in a manly non-gay way, and it's all in fun.   Roll Eyes

Speak for yourself, Mr. Justin-Timberlake-wanna-be!  Ooooh.  *LOVE* that new Big Red you've been waving about the neighborhood!
I will catch up with you and kick the living shit out of you, you know that, right?
Not today, though.  Crazy busy here.  How's July 17th 2011 for ya?

Asshole.   Grin

Sounds great.  At the rate I've been growing the past 3 weeks, I should have 200 customers by then, and have all the time in the world to let you try and kick my butt. 

And screw you. I am no Justin wanna be.  I am totally into Jason Castro on Idol.  Damn he's a hottie!

Cheesy  Grin  Tongue  Smiley  Wink

Scoop da Poo
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 03:49:56 PM »

This was the hijack of all hijacks.  7 replys to total thread annihilation.   Cheesy
all dogs poop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »

back to the boring yellowbook convo...thank you all for your input...not suprised by your advise.  I knew enough to send him on his way.  I can spend that money more effectivly elsewhere..thanks!

all dogs poop
Shon
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:05:37 PM »

Phone book directories are becoming more obsolete as time goes by but they are not out.  Like Jeff said they boast high circulation numbers to justify the price.  They are still used and senior citizens who are not internet active are the most common users.  Seniors are also a good portion of your clientele. 

You don't have to invest in a large expensive ad.  $50/month for a noticeable ad is justifiable in my opinion.  Bottom line is you have to be in there. 

Marketing is not all about how many people will see the ad, it is also what they are seeing.  Does the ad convey the message quickly?  Does it look professional?  Does it stand out?  Read some marketing books.  Get some basic knowledge on effective advertising.

Also, demographics always play a role.  What might work for one person in Jersey might not work for another in Cali. 

Create a budget for your marketing and do the best you can with what you have.  Network, network, then network some more.  Contact local media, periodically send out press releases on your business accomplishments or if you have major changes to your services or if you are expanding.  Make it fun, humorous and professional.  There is so much you can do with a tight budget.  There are tons of free or low cost internet marketing.  You just have to do it.
SgtPile
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:36:21 AM »

You may consider calling the one that is already listed and ask them how their listing is working out for them.  You dont have to tell them your going to be their compatition.   They may give you a better insight to your particular demegraghics. 

We placed an ad in ours because there was no one else listed and so far, no calls.

Jeff & Karrie

Sgt Pile
Cleaning up the community one PILE at a time.
thepoohcrew
Pros

Punkin, Eve, Remington & China

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »

I also placed an ad in my local Yellow Book as there was no one else listed and I had heard several times, "I looked for you in the phone book (after seeing the truck and not having enough time to catch the info) but you weren't there". 

To date I have signed five customers and the new book hasn't even been out a month.  That's five more customers than I've signed from any of the web directories I am listed with.  Not that I'm knocking the web directories but it seems that where I am located the Yellow Book does a better job.  Oh and those five customers more than pay for my ad every month.

Deb

The Pooh Crew
thepoohcrew
Pros

Punkin, Eve, Remington & China

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 07:45:52 AM »

BTW - I love Jason Castro!  I don't care what Simon says.   Tongue  Jason has a great voice.   Smiley

Deb

The Pooh Crew
all dogs poop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »

thank you all...the new book doesn't come out till November, so I have some time to decide.

all dogs poop
PetCorps
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:20:43 AM »

Le Ann,

Shon offers sound advice.  Most of the time, you can't argue with his logic.  So, with that being said...you've heard what Jeff thinks, you've heard Scott's translation of what Jeff thinks, and you've heard positive things from Deb who has had some positive feedback from her ad.  As for me, I was tempted by the offer of YellowBook, and of course I signed up for it.  It sounded pretty good to me...but the thing is that it is expensive.  If you've got the start-up capital to do it, follow Shon's words of wisdom and do it because you'll be getting the exposure in the not-so-tech-savvy market.  But if you have any reservations that your investment won't pay off (based on the testimony of those in this thread), save your money and utilize it elsewhere in an area that will produce more.

If you are wondering, in a whole year since I ran my ad with YellowBook, I only ever received one call.  Let's plug that into your equation, $600 annually / 1 call = $600/call.  Since I missed the call, they left a message but didn't bother to leave any contact info, simply I'll call you back..., that's a 0% conversion rate.  So if you want to go 0 for $600 it's up to you.

I won't be doing that again any time soon.  But, here's something that the YellowBook rep probably didn't tell you:  If you have a business phone line and they can get access to the directory through the phone company, they will list your business name and phone number in the book at no cost to you as a line listing.  Note:  They do not sell line listings.  These are obtained numbers through the phone company.

Jason

Jason Smith
PetCorps Professional Pet Care
ON DOODY
Pros

Learn and Work Hard to Achieve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »

Are you the only game in town?  If so why pay for the listing.  As was said above..... when you get a business line it will show up in there for free.  Just make sure they give you your own heading.  I had to ask but they were fairly nice about it and started a new "Pet Waste Removal" heading and there I was.  Now that I have a competitor in town I am looking into gettinga larger "line" ad.  The actual ads are too pricey when I can say what I want to in about 4-7 lines.

If you have competitors then abviously it is a different story.  Run the line ad and not the picture ad.
Shon
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »

I can't say for certain exactly how many leads we have received through phone directories.  But I know we hear "Yellow Book" or "Yellow Pages" often enough. 

It is a major form of media.  People do go there.  I like the phone directories and the Internet, it's always right there in their home, 24/7.

Now we realize a huge ad is not going to pay for itself, that's not by testing but only theory, so I could be wrong but I'm not willing to sign the year contract for a half page ad.

I can't tell you it will or will not be successful for you.  Ask your family and friends, ask them if they use the phone directories and how often. 

I know I have heard from people that they saw us in the phone book and was not exactly looking for our service but saw our ad.  We put our ad in "Pet Services", so people who are looking for a groomer or pet sitter, etc, may see our ad and be interested.

Good luck, and allot of it is luck.  The marketing game can wear you out.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words Jason.
Pete
Pros

We support Pet Rescue/ Spay, Neuter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 03:40:04 PM »

Shon said, "The marketing game can wear you out."

I heard that.  One way I can tell if my advertising is working is by the number of ad sales calls I get.

Better than the will to succeed is the will to prepare to succeed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: