Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
September 02, 2014, 07:02:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best and worst ways to advertise...  (Read 4317 times)
blake

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »

This is to all those seasoned vets out there who have lived through the best and worst of times. Please enlighten us noobs on the best and worst ways to advertise our businesses so that we can (a) enjoy the fruits of your labor without forking over our own money and (b) grow our businesses while avoiding major pitfalls along the way... (he says while smiling sheepishly). Seriously though, if any of you guys could shed some light on proven ways to advertise and also ways to avoid fruitless advertising it would be most appreciated. I understand that it takes trial and error in this process but I was hoping that in the kindness of your hearts you could share with us the most successful ways of getting your name out there and getting new business. Also, how exactly do you smile sheepishly? Thanx.
Scooperdude
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »

I'll take a stab at this one.
Some thing will work, problem is you never know what till you try it.
Every market is different. What works here may or may not work where you are. Direct mail works for some, I spent a ton of $ and got no response I mean zero.
Flyers work for some, TV, Radio work for some.
There are no perfect methods to advertise if there were we'd all have a million clients.
Test everything and use your results as your guide.
Good luck
Pete
Pros

We support Pet Rescue/ Spay, Neuter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »

TV is the way to go.  Budget 2.5 to 3 million for your first year.

"If I had that guy's ad budget, I wouldn't need a business!" - Hulse

Better than the will to succeed is the will to prepare to succeed.
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:48:26 AM »

I'll take a stab at this one.
Some thing will work, problem is you never know what till you try it.
Every market is different. What works here may or may not work where you are. Direct mail works for some, I spent a ton of $ and got no response I mean zero.
Flyers work for some, TV, Radio work for some.
There are no perfect methods to advertise if there were we'd all have a million clients.
Test everything and use your results as your guide.
Good luck

Grady said it best.  Pete's was funny and true, but your best thing is to try out everything.
blake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »

I understand that it is mostly trial and error but what, in your own personal experience is the best and worst ways to advertise?? Cut us noobs a little slack here. We, like you in the beginning, are way short on lira and are hoping for a little insight on the business. I honestly do not have hundreds of dollars to experiment on the more productive ways of obtaining new business...that is why I am turning to you guys...the veterans of the poop mines to shed a little light on the subject. If it is a tried and true secret the I can understand that...(just email me  Grin). Just kidding of course but any help...ANY help would be VERY appreciated by us all.
doodiedaily
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:43:49 AM »

The newspaper worked best for me in the beginning, but it wasn't cheap. Grin
thepoohcrew
Pros

Punkin, Eve, Remington & China

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »

Spend some $$$ and get youself some business cards, proceed to hand out and talk to any and every person who gets within three feet of you.

Deb

The Pooh Crew
Scooperdude
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »

Business cards, small ads, interent presents. Are probably the cheapest( best ) ways to start out.
Again there is no fool proof works everytime method
BDS
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:00:01 PM »

What is a home run in one market will be a dude in another. The same goes within your service area. The only way to find out what works is to try what you can afford and remember, it takes at least 5 viewing before your message gets through. Run a classified in a shopper or give away or homr owners association new letter. Give it some time, it takes a while.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:53:37 PM »

I understand that it is mostly trial and error but what, in your own personal experience is the best and worst ways to advertise?? Cut us noobs a little slack here. We, like you in the beginning, are way short on lira and are hoping for a little insight on the business. I honestly do not have hundreds of dollars to experiment on the more productive ways of obtaining new business...that is why I am turning to you guys...the veterans of the poop mines to shed a little light on the subject. If it is a tried and true secret the I can understand that...(just email me  Grin). Just kidding of course but any help...ANY help would be VERY appreciated by us all.

I would like to be able to say what works for me, but I would be feeding my competition the info if I post it here. 

I hope you understand why I cannot do that. 
Doggie
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »

I say do radio ads, that way when they forget the name, they will search and find me  Grin
mr.bks
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 04:48:15 PM »

You'll get a lot of good tips going through the forums and archives.  I'm just in the beginning stages of my business and those old (and not so old) posts have been invaluable in more ways than just marketing.

I would HIGHLY recommend picking up a copy of Guerrilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson.  I recently read it and it is loaded with great information.  I got the 2007 edition for $8 at Half Price Books(watch out for older editions, they may not have stuff about the internet, technology, etc.) It has been one of the best investments I have made----at least for ideas.  It will get you thinking about your business from different angles to see what might work for you.  Good luck,

mrbks
blake

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 05:35:34 AM »

Thanks for all the great info guys (and gals)! Good idea about the book...will definately pick that up. I understand what you mean about what works for some may not work for others so I guess when I do start I will run the gambit of all possible advertising avenues. Again, many thanks.
mr.bks
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 06:20:13 AM »

Thanks for all the great info guys (and gals)! Good idea about the book...will definately pick that up. I understand what you mean about what works for some may not work for others so I guess when I do start I will run the gambit of all possible advertising avenues. Again, many thanks.

Good luck.  You'll enjoy that book and it will get you excited about all the ways there are to advertise, many of them very cheap.

mrbks
bigkahuna
Pros

show me the money ;-)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »

A website is a must b4 anything else I feel Its totally free in most cases and just put it out there in cyber world
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: