Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
September 01, 2014, 09:11:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traffic idea  (Read 2440 times)
satman

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »

I am thinking of adding mowing as an additional service.
In Dallas, yard maintenance is a flourishing bizz.
My thought is if I offer mowing and scooping I might attract some customers pretty quickly.
I would only mow small yards starting out, unless its an offer I cant refuse.
If I charge 12.00 for scooping then why not mow for an additional 35.00 [small yard] and extract as much cash from the property as possible.
please chime in with your thought or exp  Smiley
pawstobark
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »

its a good idea!
We started to add dog walking which has led to our scoop customers wanting walks and vise versa.
satman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »

thanks paws
PSQ Gene
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:49:12 AM »

There are pros and cons of adding additional services. Dog walking and pet sitting are very demanding on a schedule and can interfere with your scooping schedule as a result. Lawn mowing recquires that you deal with equipment beyond scooping tools, which are few, inexpensive, and light in weight. Conversely, lawn equipment can be amazingly expensive, very large and heavy, and you'll need a weed wip, a mower, a blower, and the list can grow even larger. Another point worth noting is that on a 90 degree day, you can scoop 40 yards and not look or feel all too bad, but if you've cut as few as one or two yards, you are going to get seriously, seriously hot and messy, unless you have a riding mower which is huge and costs a fortune by the time you consider costs of the trailer thrown in. You'll also be hard pressed to make as much money per hour cutting as you can scooping. I know my scooping margins are so much better. The pros to cutting is that it is a large market, much larger than scooping and even a little market share can produce a lot of revenue. The income statement consideration is total revenue versus margin, and who am I to say that total revenue is not a reasonable primary goal even if margins drop? Especially if you are just starting out, when you need every dime you can get, it's a means to an end to work harder for less money, but I don't know if that should be the long term goal.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:16:20 AM by PSQ Gene » Logged
satman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:02:24 AM »

^ all good points Gene, and I live in Dallas where it gets really hot.
I will probably start out this way and see how it goes,once I build up a customer base I might stop the mowing,just have to see how it goes.
most def stick to small yards
admin
Administrator

Since 1988: People see poop, they think of me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »

I like Gene's analysis!  I was trying to think how to say it, and here he comes along and says it better than I was going to.  :-)  
   If you were limited to having only a few customers and could never grow enough to fill your day with scooping, then I could see adding services to get more work.  But I really don't think you could make gross as much money per hour with lawn care as you can with scooping, and I think net/gross is much high with scooping than with grass-cutting.  
   Gene mentioned the physical stress, and that goes along with another aspect I was considering: the risk of serious injury is much higher for lawn care, thus insurance and workers' comp rates would be high, thereby cutting further into the potential profits.    ... not to mention the personal discomfort factor.
The Doo House
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:29:07 AM »

I am adding in home pet care as I have had quite a few of my clients ask me if I would be willing to do it. But I live in a town of 27,000 so I need to add to make sure I max my profits.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:33:50 AM by The Doo House » Logged

"We Are Your Neighbors Best Friend"
pawstobark
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:48 PM »

i look at since we are still slow we are able to add on the walking to make extra money...some walks are evening which makes things better.
I eventually figure whenever we need to hire it would be easier to hire them doing the dog walking and keep me on full scooping!
plus i dont need a gym membership! what a work out! Tongue
PSQ Gene
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:34:34 AM »

makes good sense paws.
toober

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »

Has anybody added any other services to generate more traffic or profit?
sflscooper
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »

Probably.
Yard Guards On Doody
Pros

Cheresee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »

I do some pet sitting.  No shortage of customers for that.  I only offer the pet sitting to my customers.  My customers have no problem refering me to their friends.  (Just the opposite of poopscooping.  Not very many talk about the poop scooping to their friends)  I generally make an extra $300. a month pet sitting.  Much more during Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I am insured to pet sit as my insurnace is through Pet Sitters Associates.

We take CRAP...Seriously!!!
sflscooper
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »

Probably.

Let me rephrase my answer...

No, that would be against the rules.
admin
Administrator

Since 1988: People see poop, they think of me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »

I once tried dog food delivery.  It just seemed so beautifully poetic, you know?  Getting paid to take the food in, and getting paid to take the...  uhm... the result of the food out.   I got the retail license, got set up with a wholesaler, rented storage space, and took orders.   It didn't take off.  I'm not sure I sold any of it... maybe a little.  I didn't stick with it because for the time, labor, and money spent doing the dog food, the same resources were producing a much, much higher return if I just focused on the dog waste removal.  After that, I didn't branch out much into other services.   A few odd jobs here and there, mostly for goodwill.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: