Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
November 27, 2014, 08:40:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anybody worry about landscaping companies?  (Read 4381 times)
wxchaser

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:22:23 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks for the help thus far.

I'm wondering if any of you worry about landscaping companies adding a pooper-scooper service to their arsenal. It seems like an easy add on service for them to bring in extra profits. Just have somebody clean up the poop before they mow for a charge. Landscaping is HUGE in my area (Chicago burbs), but I don't know of any of them that have a pooper-scooper service as well. Why is that? Do you worry that once this concept takes off, they’ll start to offer the service?

Also, do any of you partner with landscaping companies? For example, find out which customers they have who often leave the mess to be run over by the mowers and offer your services to those customers. You could clean up a day before the landscapers are due to arrive. I think this would not only make some customers happy, but would make the landscaping company happy to give you referrals so their guys aren’t stepping on and chopping up poop all day.

Any thoughts?
Anoka

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »

No, in fact my friend wons a landscaping business in a well-to-do area and says once I get my business up and running he has 9 people who want their yards picked up. He doesn't want to do the poop thing.
ashlee
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 02:38:06 PM »

Hubby owns a landscaping business.  I own scooping technically.  Very little overlap despite efforts.  There has been a good deal of overlap with us marketing the snowplowing to our scooping customers.  Makes up for any lost scooping revenue from snow.
mr.bks
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »

In my neck of the woods, there are a large number of homes with 1 acre+ size lots.  I don't see many actual landscaping companies, but there are dozens of lawnmowing services and in my research I haven't found one of them that scoops poop prior to mowing.  Most of them are trying to undercut each other on price and will have a crew of 3 or 4 and they can mow, edge, and cleanup the whole property in a very short time.  They don't stop to scoop.  That doesn't mean they can't or won't in the future if it is worthwhile to them. 
Pooper Scooper Squad
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 09:16:37 AM »

Most landscape/mower services in my area (inland so. cal) don't bother.  In fact, I have one customer that has me come the day before the lawn mower guy because he won't mow if there's poop.  Another, I am there at the same time as the lawn mower.
wxchaser

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »

Thank you for the responses. Good to hear from those of you who are "in the field."
Scoop da Poo
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 08:08:06 PM »

Thank you for the responses. Good to hear from those of you who are "in the field."

We're not just "in our field", we're out standing in it!   Cheesy Cheesy

There's a joke in there. I just won't go there.  Grin
Kanine Kleenup
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »

I have a cust who has a landscaper.. I told the guy I would be there b4 noon every Wed.. he was there at 930 this AM when I pulled in.. he had sh!t all over his mowers and I had to scrape lawn splooge all over.. would hate to be the next customer after this house.. your yard would stink mightily after these guys show up..  oh well at least he hasnt thought to try to take the biz away from me...
doodiedaily
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »

Or on it! Grin Grin Grin
mr.bks
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 10:33:10 PM »

I have a cust who has a landscaper.. I told the guy I would be there b4 noon every Wed.. he was there at 930 this AM when I pulled in.. he had sh!t all over his mowers and I had to scrape lawn splooge all over.. would hate to be the next customer after this house.. your yard would stink mightily after these guys show up..  oh well at least he hasnt thought to try to take the biz away from me...

I'll bet you he's not worried about spraying his tires with a parvocidal disinfectant before he gets to the next yard either.
bigkahuna
Pros

show me the money ;-)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 05:20:34 AM »

Good point
Pooper Scooper Squad
Pros

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:15 AM »

I prefer to scoop it before I stand there  Cheesy
toober

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »

I'll bet you he's not worried about spraying his tires with a parvocidal disinfectant before he gets to the next yard either.

Newbie question: Then why are pooper scoopers so concerned about disinfectant if landscapers do not care (and visit many of the same yards)?
sflscooper
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »

Because we have a conscience, and at least we know that we are doing what we're supposed to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: