Scoopers & Friends Discussion Board

DOG OWNERS!Click here for:
International Directory of Dog Waste Removal Services
October 31, 2014, 12:07:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to this FREE forum for dog waste removal service professionals and those interested in the business. 

TO REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FORUMS: Send e-mail to Matthew at Pooper-Scooper.com and indicate what username you would like.

WANT TO START YOUR OWN BUSINESS? Buy the Startup Manual! "The Professional Pooper-Scooper: How to Start Your Own Low-Cost, High-Profit Dog Waste Removal Service"

[url=http://www.pooper-scooper.com/contents.htm]

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there enough hours in one day?  (Read 2145 times)
AZdoggie
Pros

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:39 PM »

Hi everyone! This has been on my mind since I first started thinking about doing this business, and I've finally decided to ask for advice/opinions. 

I work a 9-5ish, and I go to school.  This semester I only have class one night per week since I'm also taking a morning class before work, but generally its two nights per week and will be for the next 2 1/2 to 3 years.  The plan is to just scoop on weekends at first, then add after work on those extra three weekdays (until I lose daylight).  I intend to keep the business small until I graduate. (Unless of course, I get 5 billion customers right away and can quit my day job  Grin haha.)

I know I'm a hard worker, and eventhough I'm sure it will be stressful at times, I think I can handle it all.

Here are my questions:

Am I crazy? Huh I've wanted to own my own business for as long as I can remember and am SO EXCITED to finally find something that I think will work for me.  Am I letting my excitement blind me from reality that I won't have enough time for everything?

Is it smarter for me to wait another 2 1/2 to 3 years to start? Yes, there is always more to read and learn and prepare, but isn't the experience even more valuable?  Even if I only scooped 5 yards a week (I'm hoping for more than that! Wink), wouldn't I be way ahead of the game compared to waiting?

Is it silly to think that I can start by scooping on weekends only?  Do customers prefer weekdays so much that it will be a huge disadvantage to me?

Even if you've just recently started your business, you know better than I do! And those of you that have been at it for years will know the best. Any advice/opinions would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stacie in Arizona
Doggie
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »

Hi everyone! This has been on my mind since I first started thinking about doing this business, and I've finally decided to ask for advice/opinions. 

I work a 9-5ish, and I go to school.  This semester I only have class one night per week since I'm also taking a morning class before work, but generally its two nights per week and will be for the next 2 1/2 to 3 years.  The plan is to just scoop on weekends at first, then add after work on those extra three weekdays (until I lose daylight).  I intend to keep the business small until I graduate. (Unless of course, I get 5 billion customers right away and can quit my day job  Grin haha.)

I know I'm a hard worker, and eventhough I'm sure it will be stressful at times, I think I can handle it all.

Here are my questions:

Am I crazy? Huh I've wanted to own my own business for as long as I can remember and am SO EXCITED to finally find something that I think will work for me.  Am I letting my excitement blind me from reality that I won't have enough time for everything? I do not think you are crazy. It is good to see a go getter. You can do anything you want if you put your mind into it. I think if you manage your time right you should be able to pull this off. Just be carefull and do not get burn out. pick a day where you just have fun and do not do school or scooping. Make that a Stacie day.

Is it smarter for me to wait another 2 1/2 to 3 years to start? Yes, there is always more to read and learn and prepare, but isn't the experience even more valuable?  Even if I only scooped 5 yards a week (I'm hoping for more than that! Wink), wouldn't I be way ahead of the game compared to waiting? Waiting will only help other others in your area. If you start now and just market small and keep you budget low but get your name out, Maybe you will be ready to scoop full time in two or three years. If things go quicker, you should be gald and hire someone or make a differnt plan.

Is it silly to think that I can start by scooping on weekends only?  Do customers prefer weekdays so much that it will be a huge disadvantage to me A lot of scoopers starting doing weekends like you plain to do. Maybe you can scoop on your lunch break or if they are close to you or even before work if you have that twice a week customer.

Even if you've just recently started your business, you know better than I do! And those of you that have been at it for years will know the best. Any advice/opinions would be truly appreciated.

I hope this help you out. Good luck and keep up posted how it works out.

Thanks,

Stacie in Arizona
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:03:32 PM by Doggie » Logged
thepoohcrew
Pros

Punkin, Eve, Remington & China

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »

Stacie,

Go for it!  If you're in the mind set to do it and make it work, you'll be fine.  Hey, there have been several scoopers that have started by scooping on the weekends and built there business up from there.  If your business happens to grow faster than you expected you can always hire someone or contract someone to do the dirty work for you.   Wink   Smiley

I can tell you this ... if you're thinking about doing it now but you wait, you'll think back to this time period and wish you'd just gone ahead and started it anyway.  I catch myself thinking, "I really wish I would have started this back when", ya hindsight is 20/20.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Deb

The Pooh Crew
mr.bks
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:43:42 PM »

I put off starting for 1 1/2 years and regret it.  Best of luck to you, with the business and all your other stuff.

mrbks
AZdoggie
Pros

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »

Thanks for the encouraging words. I appreciate it!!
thepoohcrew
Pros

Punkin, Eve, Remington & China

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »

You're welcome!   Smiley

Deb

The Pooh Crew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: